KM3KM mercuryIIIS Power Amplifier Kit

I received my 1200 watt HF amplifier kit on Thursday and completed the build on Friday afternoon.  Start to finish was about 5 hours, with breaks, taking it slow, and a glass of wine!  Basic power on test was successful but I wasn't able to complete the first test, 1W RTTY, till Sunday, due to time constraints Friday evening.

I had a few minor issues, but nothing with the build or quality of the components except for the rear case fan was dead on arrival.  Kenny had a new one shipped the next day.   The first test instructions required some additional tweaking on my end since I'm using a software defined radio.   I used FLDIGI from my PCs to generate the recommended 1W RTTY modulated signal into the Flexradio 6400M.

Overall, the component quality is top notch, and Kenny does a nice job with the instructions, high resolution pictures, and assembly videos that are included with the kit on a USB drive.  The link to the full kit of parts are available online at https://www.km3km.com/product/full-kit/.  I was given a 90 day shipping estimate, but received it in 60 days, so good on that too.

Pictures and notes from my build:   More on LDMOS semiconductor technologies here.  I expect to get MANY years of reliable service from this amp.  Plus since I built this from a kit, I hope that I can repair it myself in the future if needed, assuming parts/boards are available.

Here's the kit as it arrived via FedX - All 33.7lbs!


Pleased to see the kit of parts was personalized with my WX7V.  The controller firmware was updated to the latest version prior to shipping, and preprogrammed with my callsign.  Kenny also indicated that all parts were bench tested before being shipped.   


Unboxing the parts.... no video here tho.  The personalized letter was a nice touch, which included a few important reminders about the kit and the build process.


The parts are logically sorted and shipped in static wrap.   There is a nextion fully color touch display, a low pass filter, power unit, arduino controller board, electronic antenna switch, push button switches for power and operate, 3 case fans, ribbon conectors, solder, and various lengths of pre-tinned coax cable.


The kit requires 24 (more or less) solder connections, continuity tests for solder bridges, and connectors properly installed.  After the first solder I made a quick trip to Lowes to upgrade my old 40w soldering iron to a nice soldering gun.  Lowes had 3 in stock, for the same price as amazon.

Successful Power On!  


Top View


PTT /On Air Test



Amplifier in action on the bench in my ham shack.   


  
73,

Chris de WX7V




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote CW with RKI 1.05 and Sparkfun FT231X breakout board

BENS BEST BENT WIRE

Wolf River Coil SB 1000 Platinum - 213" Whip Antenna Tuning Guide W0DHZ - Dale Henninger