Resolving GDM issues with Fedora 9 (Sulpher)

GDM is not fully supported in Fedora 9 because GDM was rewritten during the GNOME 2.21 release cycle (ref). gdmsetup is missing so you cannot customize your login and I had issues with user switching (Cannot communicate with GDM (The GNOME Display Manager)). Also, GDM would not put my monitor into powersaving mode from the login screen which was a real issue.

To resolve I reverted back to the fedora 8 versions of gdm and fast-user-switch applet. Note: this could be "dangerous" (ie, see below - you may be required to recreate your user account).

1) Download fc8 rpms for gdm, fast-user-switch-applet and fedorainfinity-gdm-theme (required to resolve a gdm dependecy)

gdm-2.20.1-5.fc8.i386.rpm
fast-user-switch-applet-2.20.0-1.fc8.i386.rpm
fedorainfinity-gdm-theme-8.0.1-1.fc8.noarch.rpm

2) Remove the fc9 versions of gdm and gdm-user-switch-applet

$sudo yum erase gdm

3) Install the fc8 versions:

$sudo rpm -Uvh gdm-2.20.1-5.fc8.i386.rpm fast-user-switch-applet-2.20.0-1.fc8.i386.rpm fedorainfinity-gdm-theme-8.0.1-1.fc8.noarch.rpm

4) Logout to restart GDM. I was then able to confirm gdmsetup and that the power savin mode was enabled after a few minutes of no activity from the GDM login screen.

Note: After the upgrade logged in and verify 2 of 3 of local accounts defined on my system. The third account wouldn't login correctly (GDM complained that it couldn't find the home directory for that account). I doubt it was related to the above actions (I was playing with installs for debian, opensuse etc from that account). To resolve I created a new account, and moved the files over from the old home directory that I wanted to keep. I didn't have any other issues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hamclock 4.10 Up and Running WSL

EdgeOS SQM Smart Queue Management Configuration

DAX Driver Issues after installing Windows 11 cumulative update KB5079473