PiStar Digital Hotspot

 Its been a year since I got sucked down the ham radio rabbit hole.  There seems to be no end in sight.  As proof I recently bought a ZUMspot digital hostpot kit with nextion 3.5 display.  This is a Raspberry PI based MMDVM - multi-mode-digital-voice-modem.  

The hotspot connects to the internet via wi-fi, and acts as a personal repeater that you can use to talk to other amateur stations all over the world with your handy-talkie.   I mostly have this set to AmericaLink (Yaesu System Fusion) but I also registered for a DMR-ID thru RadioID.Net.  

Configuration was pretty straight forward, and the hotspot is fun to play with.  Open pi-star.local in a browser.  Depending on the OS (I'm using linux) you might have a different URL.  Connect to the local pstar-setup SSID on the hotspot using the default userid and password.  Also, let the pi-star run thru as many updates as needed to get to current.  I'm at v4.1.4.

Once you have configured the hotspot to connect to your local wifi, just reboot the p-star return to the home page and set up General Configurations, Hostname, Callsign, Lat/Long, Location etc.  Most importantly set up a radio-frequency for the hotspot to use that will not cause interference.  This is the frequency you'll hit for TX/RX from your handy talkie.  I'm using 438.8Mhz.

I was able to make some quick contacts in Scotland, Germany, and heard many others on America link. 

Although after a few weeks I admit I don't use it very much but I'm very glad I have it.  Was a fun side project that I needed to explore and might have need to use in the future!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote CW with RKI 1.05 and Sparkfun FT231X breakout board

BENS BEST BENT WIRE

Wolf River Coil SB 1000 Platinum - 213" Whip Antenna Tuning Guide W0DHZ - Dale Henninger