RBN: The Reverse Beacon Network

The RBN is a network of stations listening to the bands and reporting what stations they hear, when and how well.  This is a cool idea, the "reverse" of beacons that traditionally send automated calls  for operators to check for band openings. 

I use the RBN to see how my signal propagates via CW on any given day.   Its pointless to call CQ if others can't hear you, or copy your signal.  The RBN gives you a pretty good idea if you're sending properly (especially important since I use a Cootie Straight Key), the distance and the signal strength from spotter stations.  Its also a good tool to see if any other stations have been spotted on the frequency you want to you if you don't hear anything on the air after checking QRL.

It was nice to see my call spotted this morning in Hawaii, New Zealand,  Australia, Canada, Costa Rica, Cayman Islands,  and over most of the US.  When RBN doesn't pick up my call, its normally because I'm not sending good code, or the band isn't open.  Today's SFI was 132 and the SN was 49 so normally the bands are not the issue! 

Early one morning I was having the hardest time getting spotted on RBN.   The ops on the SKCC Sched page were scratching their heads wondering why a non-existent Russian station (RX7V) was so strong on 40M at 5am in the morning!  Turns out there were a ton of spots for RX7V because I was shortening the last dah on my W.  So the intended dit-da-dah was coming out dit-da-dit, or R.  Easy to fix, and  knowing this really helped improve my code.  

The RBN website is pretty straight forward.   I've also used it to check for specific call signs that I want to work.   RBN lets you see when and where that station is normally active.   After I heard the 2013 youtube video of Bill Crane, W9ZN sending "BENS BEST BENT WIRE" I wondered if he was still around.

Turns out he is, and can be heard consistently mid morning on 30M.   It took me two times to work him - first time was a bust, due to QRM on his end, but the second time I got a good QSO with him.  I sent him a card, and he promptly responded with one of his own!  

Wonders never cease.   73 Chris de WX7V

This is the URL I have bookmarked for RBN, with preferences set to show spots for my call:

https://beta.reversebeacon.net/main.php?rows=100&max_age=15,minutes&spotted_call=WX7V&hide=distance_km




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote CW with RKI 1.05 and Sparkfun FT231X breakout board

BENS BEST BENT WIRE

Wolf River Coil SB 1000 Platinum - 213" Whip Antenna Tuning Guide W0DHZ - Dale Henninger