Jackson Hole, Wyoming POTA Trip Report

 I was active in Wyoming on June 24th - 30th, 2023.  I was able to make 62 contacts - 45 on SSB,  17 on CW, all on 20M.  Longest contact was Spain (EC1R) at 7929 km. I also worked Alaska, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and New Brunswick. and Puerto Rico, and at least 25 states.

I used my Elecraft KX3, and a combination of the MP1 Super Antenna mag mounted to the roof of the car and the KM4ACK EFHW antennas.  Overall I’d have to say the MP1 outperformed the end fed!   

2023-06-30 K-0698 John D. Rockefeller Jr. National Parkway

2023-06-30 K-0070 Yellowstone National Park

2023-06-25 K-6229 South Park State Wildlife Habitat Management Area

2023-06-24 K-0613 National Elk National Wildlife Refuge

2023-06-24 K-0031 Grand Teton National Park

The views were legendary and the mosquitos were fierce!  I actually made two trips to Yellowstone- the first with family to see Old Faithful, a nice hike to see the Grand Prismatic Spring, and a drive thru West Thumb etc, so activating wasn’t in the cards as we were focused on spotting Bison, Wolves, Elk,  Deer and Foxes (saw them all but no bear).   

The next morning I made a solo trip back, starting just after 6am while everyone else slept, and drove the 110 miles round trip to activate just inside Yellowstone and the experience did not disappoint!  I was able t find a quiet spot on a picnic table overlooking the Snake River and enjoyed a nice cup of coffee while working SSB.

I wanted to spend more time out in the field but I decided to balance family, work and radio time as described in Amateur Creed.  Written in 1928, this still seems appropriate today:  

“BALANCED….. Radio is an advocation, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.”

Please enjoy the pictures! 

PS,  I pulled over on the John D Rockefeller National Parkway K-0698 when the compass app on my phone showed an elevation of 7300 feet hi-hi!  Had a nice activation as a result!


73 Chris de WX7V





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote CW with RKI 1.05 and Sparkfun FT231X breakout board

BENS BEST BENT WIRE

Wolf River Coil SB 1000 Platinum - 213" Whip Antenna Tuning Guide W0DHZ - Dale Henninger